Saturday, February 17, 2007

damn the sound man!

So I went to see The J Davis Trio down in DeKalb last night, since they're awesome and I love them. Unfortunately, the fates conspired against me. Picked up Tori from the dorms and had Portillo's for dinner - eat your heart out Jake ;) - and hung out with some of the old Upstaging crew, which was all good, but then things took a turn.

We got to The House, and the show started 30 minutes late, which really isn't all that bad. The first band had a good keyboard player, and that's really all I can say there. The second band could at least play their instruments (same keys player in both bands...), but made a travesty of a mix of reggae and rap, the extremely white singer with complete fake carribean accent. All summed up in a pop culture statement, the two opening bands were like Dyson's, they never lost suc(k)tion.

So then JDT has everyting set up at a quarter after midnight, which was good since I was still driving back to Madison once the show was done. Unfortunately, the sound guy took another 35 minutes to set up mic's, putting their start time around 12:50. I only stayed for three songs, since it had been snowing and I didn't know what condition the roads would be in, not to mention it was pretty late with a two hour drive ahead.

So I was pretty pissed that I went down there to only see three songs from the band I wanted to see, but checking the band's website this afternoon found that they're playing here in a month at the Memorial Union, and I'll stay as late as I need to this time.

One more good thing, my Airport Express station showed up today! iTunes playing over the stereo wirelessly. Yes.

1 comment: